Sunday, November 9, 2008

The Heroes day from Surabaya City


This day is an important day for Indonesia and for me. First, this is Hime Day for me. And second, this is Heroes Day in Indonesia (called “Hari Pahlawan”).

Indonesia decided this day as Heroes Day bacause of heroic incident that happened in Surabaya on 10 November 1945. That day is deadline of ultimatum from Major General Mansergh(I don’t know the exact grade term, in Indonesia this grade called “Mayor Jenderal”) for all leader and Indonesian people that posses weapon to surrender. Mansergh was a substitute for Brigadir General Mallaby, England troop leader for East Java that was killed by Indonesian troop on October 30th 1945. This incident happened because Flag of Netherland was wavered in Yamato Hotel (Hotel Oranje) by Netherland army (NICA, Netherlands Indies Civil Administration). This action insulted Indonesian, so some of them torn the blue part of Netherland’s Flag to be only red and white, means Indonesia’s Flag. This triggered other incident between Indonesian troop vs Netherland troop in Surabaya then followed versus England troop and the peak incident was the death of Mallaby.

Mansergh’s Ultimatum was rejected by Indonesian because on that time, Republic of Indonesia was established since August 17th 1945 so no one can give that such ultimatum.
In the morning of November 10th 1945, England troop attack Surabaya with 30.000 men, 50 planes (including bombers), 24 Sherman tanks, and several war ships. Surabaya was attaced with so many boms. There was so many victims from Indonesian citizen but Indonesian troop never give up and then citizen helped too.

England estimated that they can conquer Surabaya in 3 days, but because of heroism of Indonesian people (one of them is Bung Tomo from Surabaya), it took long time until a month.
Surabaya was conquered because of difference of war technology.
In November 27th 1945, KNIP (Komite Nasional Indonesia Pusat) or Center National Comittee of Indonesia protested very very hard to top leader of England tropp in Indonesian for their action.
Surabaya’s war triggered so many wars in other places againts NICA and England troop. Because of their heroism and to remind of the victims so that day was decided as Heroes Day in Indonesia.

This day, I’m thinking about what that means for me. What is the meaning of “hero” for Indonesian people today.
I think, this is the right momment for me to “back on the right track”. I’ve done so many useless things, so his is the right time for me to act more effectively. I’ve wasted my time in some meaningless actions, so this is the right time to throw away that activities.
Related to the word “hero”, I think this is the right time to be hero for ****, an invisible hero. Hahahaha :)) I think you know what I mean.

I also want to give “advice” to my leaders, “Please, show us real actions as we expected about you to make Indonesia better. We can help you to be heroes, but first, show us that you capable to.”

And you my friends, do you have a hero?
Or do you want to be a hero for someone?

Let’s think again about what the real meaning of “hero”.

No comments:


My blog is worth $74235.05.
How much is your blog worth?